Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Food Weekend

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. I've been pretty busy and haven't had a chance to take a bunch of pictures. However, two weekends ago Laura and I decided to spend the weekend cooking instead of going out to eat. We have been doing a better job of eating in more which has really opened the door to cooking new things. On Thursday night Laura took it on herself to make some Italian comfort food. She whipped together a delicious baked ziti that must have weight 8 pounds. This thing was dense! It wasn't the pasta that weighed so much, it was the sausage, onions, and mounds of cheese.


The casserole dish could hardly contain the cheese.

Oh, and to wash that down, Laura made a batch of Reese chocolate peanut butter cupcakes. The cake batter and frosting were made from scratch, and you could really tell. Also, she placed a mini-reeses cup in the center of each cupcake before baking. After the cupcakes cooled a bit (but not too much because we were impatient) she layered on a rich layer of peanut putter frosting. These cupcakes were sooooo good and soooo filling. It was hard to eat more than one, but I managed to do so.









Finally, on Friday night it was my time to contribute. I wanted to do something a little fancier because it had been a while since we cooked a real nice sit down meal together. Normally in this situation I would go right to steak, specifically thick cut ribeye. However, when walking through Costco I got the idea to do rack of lamb. Laura and I love rack of lamb (medium rare, of course). I have made it a couple times in the past, so I thought I could incorporate what I learned to make this edition really good. To accompany the lamb I made some garlic and sour cream mashed potatoes and steamed green beans with balsamic sauteed onions. Everything came out wonderful! I was impressed with my ability to get all of the dishes done at the same time so nothing got cold or stagnant. For drinks, we opened up one of Laura's favorite bottles of wine, Chateau St. Michelle Riesling.


If you are going to make rack of lamb (or order it at a restaurant) it better be medium rare or else you are doing yourself a large disservice.

Overall it was a delicious weekend, and when we have the time will definitely do again (with different dishes mind you).

4 comments:

  1. did you do the lamb in the oven or the grill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seared it in a frying pan, the finished in the oven. Turned out perfectly. If you are going to use the grill, I recommend wrapping the bones with foil so they dont burn. It happened to me last time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mom really likes the cupcakes (of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. when you are in town next, we'll make them again. They were really good!

    ReplyDelete